My EXPECTATIONS are that…
- You will be self-motivated and work independently, approaching me for guidance as needed. You will also work as part of a team, being responsible and accountable for your work. You will be respectful and mindful of the schedules and obligations of others.
- You will present weekly reports of research progress, plans for the upcoming week (including requests for assistance from team members), and research challenges at scheduled lab meetings. This includes a weekly evaluation of all projects.
- You will keep an electronic notebook with a detailed log of your hours and the work you accomplished on a week-by-week basis. This includes any and all activities related to the GI.
- You will become an expert on the scientific literature relating to your chosen research topic. Each of you will work more independently to review literature specific to your research project, and to bring reports on your reading to the weekly meetings.
- You will develop an annotated bibliography based on your research project and library research.
- You will take responsibility for conducting research with a professional attitude and appropriate time commitment. Expect to spend 8-10 hours per week working and thinking about your project.
- You will have a primary and secondary project responsibility. Your secondary responsibilities include assisting teammates with their primary research responsibilities.
- You will work in teams to produce an abstract and poster of your project for the annual Davidson College Joint Science Symposium. In addition, you will prepare an annotated bibliography, and work on a research blog/website that educates the public and assesses application of digital technology to applied ecology.
- You will consider presenting your research at the annual meeting of the North Carolina Academy of Sciences or the Association of Southeastern Biologists, and to apply for funding to attend the meeting. In addition, you have the option of preparing a manuscript, with the goal of publication in a peer-reviewed research journal.